Sunday, May 09, 2010

hard times

A drunk driver hit me earlier this evening. My new used car is in a tow lot somewhere, badly mangled, and accumulating storage fees. I only bought this car about 2 months ago. I feel like my time here in Seattle has been (more than) difficult and, at the moment, I really feel like giving up.

I shouldn't have even been there. The overseas guy came back (hence, he needs a new name), and he was supposed to call. And we were supposed to go on a walk or a hike. The short version is, he didn't call. He stood me up. It felt pretty bad, and I was distracted by it for much of the day. So I happened to be there, seeing other friends, distracting myself from the distraction.

At the exact moment I was leaving from the restaurant in my car, just as I pulled out of the parking lot, a guy who had been drinking (apparently) a lot, existing in his own world and preoccupied with his own concerns, came speeding into the same street as me. So much happens by accident.

I know I'm lucky. A few friends and good people were standing around when the accident occurred. They helped me. I could be dead; or I could be hurt. It's by chance and by grace that I am typing this now.

But these days, I have to remind myself to be grateful, remember that I'm lucky. Sometimes life is just hard to live or, it just feels hard. My head hurts a little. The drunken driver really does have the right of way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home